General Tso's Chicken
You don't have to give up Chinese takeout on keto. This General Tso's Chicken recipe features juicy tender chicken pieces in a delicious sweet and spicy sauce.
- 7 chicken thighs (cubed)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup pork rinds (crushed)
- 1/2 cup oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons erythritol
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Green onions (thinly sliced (optional garnish))
- Red chilies (chopped (optional garnish))
- Cut chicken into cubes, about 1-inch each, and set aside. Crush pork rinds in food processor (or thoroughly by hand). Put almond flour into medium-sized bowl or shallow dish and mix in pinch of salt and pepper. In second bowl or dish, whisk together eggs and cream. Put crushed pork rinds in third bowl/dish.
- Line up your counter in the following order: chicken, almond flour, eggs/cream, ground pork rinds, and a sheet pan. Take a handful of chicken and coat with almond flour, shake off excess and dip into egg/cream mixture, then coat chicken pieces completely with pork rinds. Shake off excess and spread chicken on sheet pan. Repeat until all chicken pieces are breaded. Note: Try to do this step by keeping one hand dry and one hand wet the whole time to avoid clumping (i.e. left hand goes in chicken and egg mixture, while right hand goes in flour and pork rinds).
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet at medium-high heat. Set out a clean plate or sheet pan for the cooked chicken. Once hot, drop chicken in oil a handful at a time; try not to crowd the pan with too much chicken at once (you will have to fry the chicken in 3-4 batches). Turn chicken over after a couple of minutes of frying to create an even crust all the way around. Cook chicken all the way through. Add oil as needed to finish frying all the chicken.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Heat a clean wok or skillet at medium-high heat and add the sauce to the pan. As soon as the sauce starts to bubble, add the fried chicken to the pan and stir it for about 2 minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken.
- Garnish with green onions and red chilies if desired.