Portobello Bunless Burgers
These bunless keto burgers use portobello mushrooms as the "buns" and get a flavorful fat boost from crispy bacon and melted cheese.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps (stems and gills removed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 slice cheddar cheese (or cheese of your preference)
- 1 slice tomato
- 1/4 cup mixed greens or arugula
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sugar ketchup
- Put the portobello mushroom caps in a bowl or shallow dish and add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and half of the salt and pepper; marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet at medium-low heat until crispy, flipping over a couple of times to evenly cook each side. Set aside for later use as a topping.
- Turn the grill on medium-high heat (about 200-300 degrees). In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and the rest of the salt and pepper. Form into a patty, ideally not quite as wide as the portobello “buns.”
- Put the portobello mushrooms and the burger on the grill (you may need to do this separately if you are preparing multiple servings). Cook the portobello mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they are soft and heated through. The burger will take about 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Put the cheese on the burger for the last minute of cooking to melt.
- Assemble your burger with the bacon and the rest of the toppings between the portobello mushrooms.